Understanding food allergies and intolerances, and the impact they have on your business.
Victus Consultancy is fast becoming known as the “go to” hospitality consultancy for advice about food allergies and intolerances. We have formed strong relationships with other experts in the field such as “Intolerant Gourmand”, and our opinion is often sought when allergen related stories make the news.
Gluten free, dairy free, egg free…. these aren’t just trendy buzzwords but allergen information which has to be taken seriously. For many people, having a food allergy or intolerance is debilitating – an inconvenience at best and life threatening at worse. The repercussions of an allergic reaction can be so severe, as several high profile cases have demonstrated, that from 13 December 2014, the EU Food Information for Consumers Regulation No. 1169/2011 requires food businesses to provide clear information about the 14 key allergens on food sold unpackaged. This applies to, for example, cafes, bistros, take away outlets, restaurants, pubs and hotels.
Good practice is required when procuring, storing, describing and preparing food, and the level of due diligence involved can be overwhelming. Victus Consultancy has many years of experience of working with allergens and intolerances, and can offer our expert training and guidance with:
- Training front of house & kitchen staff about food allergens & intolerances
- Creating an exciting menu which caters for your customers with special dietary requirements
- Effective ingredient labelling & storage
- How to best take an order & communicate any allergen information to the kitchen
- Due diligence when preparing an order for a customer with a food allergy or intolerance, especially when their allergy is severe
- Use & storage of separate utensils & equipment
- Due diligence when sourcing food & dealing with any changes in either supplier or goods
- Ensuring you meet all current legislation & good practice
- Applying for accreditations & awards
If you need help understanding Consumers Regulation No. 1169/2011 and ensuring your business follows good allergen practice, call us on 07732 454 639 or by emailing us here.
Click here to find out what else Victus Consultancy can help you with.Contact Us